Knowledge Bound: The RSC Blog
Visit the Knowledge Bound Blog regularly for news analysis, editorials and facts about education and financial aid.
| Comments (1)
When you ask people about financial aid, what’s the first thing they say?
When you ask them how they’re going to pay for college, what do they say?
Neither of these are good answers, but they are a tribute to how well those industries have done in promoting themselves. They’ve convinced students to pay for college the hard way. Unfortunately, the government has not done as good a job promoting grants.
Grants vs. Scholarships and Student Loans
· Only 6% of college students receive a scholarship. Only 0.3% of those pay for everything.
· 65% of college students take out loans.
· 35% of college students take out Stafford Loans. 70% of them have both subsidized and unsubsidized loans.
· 8.8% of borrowers default on student loans, but 63% stop making payments at some point.
When it comes to Pell Grants
· 46% of families receive Pell Grants.
· They cover – on average -- 34% of college expenses.
· Pell Grant amounts are tied to inflation. If inflation goes up, students receive more grant money.
Unfortunately, it’s not all good news when it comes to Pell Grants. They cover only half of what they used to in the 1970's and poor families are far less likely to be aware of them. According to FinAid.org, 70% of families making less than $28,000 didn’t even know Pell Grants existed. The students most in need of the money are the ones not receiving it.
The Good News on Grants
The good news is that colleges don’t subtract grant money from other need-based financial aid they give you (unlike scholarships) and you don’t have to pay them back. They are a major part of avoiding student loans. Other steps to avoid student loans include::
Grant money isn’t as sexy as scholarships or loans. You don’t win anything, and you don’t have the heroic tale of paying it off by the sweat of your brow. You don’t overcome a hardship, but your hardships are what make you eligible.
So maximize your grant money by showing need and being the best student possible. RSC’s program can help you with both – which is way better than paying for college the hard way
For a list of everything we offer, visit our Comparison Chart and see how we stack up against the competition.
1. Wow, that's what I was seeking for, what a stuff! present here at this website, thanks admin of this web site.
Comment By Maricela - Mar 08, 2014 7:12 PM
Leave A Comment